Icons in the Scrivener Binder are a great tool to quickly orientate yourself in your writing.
Icons in Scrivener Binder have two functions
- Icons can tell you some basic information about your writing
- Icons can visually orientate you to different sections of your thesis
Firstly, the Scrivener Manual has this easy to read Table about Icons. This explains how the icons change depending on whether you have written a synopsis, main text or have snapshots associated with your writing.
Secondly, you can easily change the icons from the standard ‘page’ and ‘folder’ view to something more visually appealing if you want.
- Select any document within your thesis structure (Tip: The main “Thesis” (manuscript) icon cannot be changed) and right-click
- Choose Change Icon -> select the icon you want
- Voile – you have changed your icon!
If you choose to change from the standard icons- you will lose the ‘extra’ information (such as whether a synopsis has been written or the document has main text). If you change the icon but change your mind- it’s easy to get back to the standard paper/folder icon via select document -> right-click – > Change Icon -> Reset Icon to Default
My next post will be about customisable icons!
Happy Thesis Writing
Remember Scrivener has a free 30-day trial period. You can download Scrivener with an Education Discount via this link (Note: purchasing via this link gives me a commission about equal to the cost of a cappuccino)