I’ve been trying to write lately- write my thesis, write (re-write) a Journal article that I drafted 3 years ago and in re-reading some of what I’ve written – I’ve realised that it is boring as batsh*t
– Ugh – if I have read another “I will explore….” “I will illustrate” – as this is my own work! [and I’ve not even read it that many times….]
I’ve got a list of “Cheat Sheet Phrases” that I compiled from the Thesis Whisperer Verb Cheat Sheet and from They Say I Say – it has been super useful throughout my writing – but I now realise that my writing is also super boring.
Just wondering how other people get around this – how to make your academic writing interesting? and does anyone have any phrases that they think are super boring.
Here’s my worst ones (truly taken from my draft article):
- In this section, I will explore how …
- I will draw on the empirical research to illustrate my point.
- These approaches draw on
- It is important to understand
- Four main areas to be discussed in this paper are